Monday, November 29, 2010

An odd experience at 2:00 am

Ok this is a weird one.  I woke up at 2:00 am last night and suddenly remembered, 'Holy shmolies, the last time I'd been to Bens was early this morning!  I need to go check on his cats!'  So I jumped out of bed, threw on some clothes, and bolted out the door.

Wait a second... what's that over there?  A shadow of... somebody skulking behind the car?  The shadow stood up suddenly, as if caught doing something.  I stood there for a few seconds and heard, "What's up man?"

I proceeded down the driveway and got closer to the guy.  Some young dude I don't know, smoking a cigarette.

"How's it going man?" He said.

"Ok," I replied.

"So, what are you doing?"

I stopped.  He's talking to me?  Why is this shadowy stranger making conversation with me?

"Taking a walk," I said.

"Where to?"

Ok, now this guy was starting to creep me out.  His comments seemed nervous and almost forced.  I decided not to tell him where I was going.

"Around," I replied.

A short pause.  We both stood there for a second looking at each other.

"I can't sleep."

? thought I.  I stood there and looked at the guy.  Ok, so he can't sleep.  Am I supposed to do something?  Give him some suggestions?  Offer him one of my anxiety pills?

"Ok, good luck with that," I said, and proceeded towards Ben's.

"Ok, you too man."

Me too?  Good luck with what?  My walk?  I kept it in mind not to trip and die.  Lady luck, be with me on my walk.  I got halfway to Malone and remembered, dog noggit, the key!  I turned around and jogged back to the house.  The guy was standing in the driveway.  He saw me coming and skulked over to the light post on the corner.  I went inside, got the key, and came back out.  The guy was gone.

Probably nothing, just some guy outside who couldn't sleep, taking a smoke, and I startled him.  He probably thought he looked kind of shifty, which he did, thus his nervous-seeming reaction, but it was most likely just a harmless situation.  Still... maybe he's an insane stalker who secretly watches my window at night as I sleep.  I hope I don't wake up dead.

Uh... better lock the doors just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment