Sunday, August 28, 2011

someday

I'm sending an application to St. Herman's Orthodox Seminary on Kodiak Island in Alaska.  I suppose the only way to make it happen is to do something about it.  I'll need transcripts from NTCC and the Art Institute, a copy of my baptismal certificate (I never got one though), and I'll have to write an essay describing why I want to attend.  I will need a letter of recommendation from Fr. Justin.

I won't be going to become a priest... it's the St. Dimitrie Addictions Program that interests me.  I want to be an addiction counselor.  I feel like that's what I'm supposed to be doing with my life; helping people who suffer with addiction, something I have a lot of personal experience with.  It's the most awful thing to have ever happened to me, and if it's within my power to help someone else who's suffered as I have, then I want to do what I can.  I also feel like God has tasked me with this, to people who suffer from addiction.

I must admit that my reasons aren't completely selfless.  I also hope to combat my own addiction issues and learn how to deal with them more effectively by attending St. Herman's.  I also would like to be back in Alaska.  I spent the summers of 2007 and 2010 in Ketchikan working as a salesman for Dicker & Dicker, a company that manufactures and sells fur coats, and I feel a connection with the place.  I feel as if I need to go back, and I think going to St. Herman's might be the reason.  Who knows, though... but there's only one way to find out.

Maybe I'll get there and decide that I should become a priest.  That scares the daylights out of me... I can't imagine myself in such a position of responsibility and importance, and actually pulling it off without royally screwing it up.  We'll see. 

1 comment: