Thursday, February 24, 2011

Weird things in the sky

I was Stumbling around online this morning and came across some UFO web pages.  This got me to thinking about the two instances in which I've seen weird things flying around in the sky.  I don't want to call them UFO's, because that sounds kooky.  However, I have no idea what they could have been, and I've never seen anything remotely similar since then.  It's interesting to note, however, that these two events occurred within a few months of each other. 


May, 1990, around midnight

I was standing in the side yard outside my house in Pittsburg, TX with a friend.  We had been watching a far off thunderstorm for about half an hour when we noticed a red light on the horizon.  It was far away and somewhat dim, like the red lights on the wings of an airplane.  As it approached it got brighter and eventually began to resolve into a multicolored profusion of lights.  As clearly as I can remember, it was a cluster of about 6 to 8 lights, arranged in a roughly circular array, with 4 lights, corresponding to 0, 90, 180, and 270 degrees, being brighter, more stable, and more white than the rest. This cluster of lights was flashing in a bizarre way, and not according to any kind of pattern I could discern.

This collection of multicolored, randomly flashing lights came toward us and stopped directly over my house, which was about 100 feet from the garden in which my friend and I were standing. It appeared to be about 100 feet above the house, and if I had to guess based on the cluster of lights as an indicator of size, I would say that it was about 20 feet wide.  It was dark, so I couldn't discern the shape of whatever it was that was emitting the lights.

As it stopped over my house, a spotlight shone down from it onto the house.  When the spotlight appeared, I panicked and ran into the house. My friend followed me after about 15 more seconds. After I had calmed down a little, we both went back outside and it was gone. 

I've thought a lot about what this could have been, and the only thing I can think of is that it was a helicopter, albeit a very strange one.  However, it made no noise at all during the entire time, even when it was almost directly overhead, and there was no wind that you would expect from the rotor blades. 


August, 1990, probably after 10:00 pm

My brother and I were sitting on the back porch of my dads house in Commerce, TX.  We both observed a light on the horizon that was slowly approaching us, which eventually resolved into a cluster of lights as it grew closer.  At first it seemed as if we were seeing a recurrence of the same event I had witnessed earlier in the spring, as there were four white lights, arranged in a diamond pattern, with the lights corresponding to 0, 90, 180, and 270 degrees.  This light formation differed from the other however, in that it was orderly and lacked the cacophony of flashing, multicolored lights.

My brother and I jumped off the porch and into the yard to get a better view.  I had told him about the thing my friend and I had witnessed a few months previously (he had been in the house at the time it happened), so we were both growing excited at the prospect of a similar occurance.  We talked about what it could be.  It didn't look like an airplane to us, since airplanes usually have red lights which flash in an orderly manner, and you can normally discern the shape of the plane based on the position of the lights on the wingtips and tail.  This was four white lights, glowing steadily, arrayed in a diamond pattern, which grew brighter as it got closer.

As it was about to pass overhead, we climbed a barbed wire fence and ran into the adjacent pasture and watched.  There was a full moon that night, and as chance would have it, whatever it was we were watching passed directly in front of the moon in relation to our line of sight. Because of this, my brother and I both were able to observe the silhouette of a wheel-like object which contained 2 spokes, arranged in a cross pattern 90 degress to each other.  The simplest way to describe it is as a wheel with four spokes radiating from the center.  The lights were positioned at the points where these spokes met the wheel.  Once again, there wasn't any sound. 

As far as speculating as to what this one could have been goes, I have no idea.  It reminded me of the wheeled space station in 2001, A Space Odyssey.

This is basically what they looked like:


No comments:

Post a Comment