Saturday, July 9, 2011

I'm a genius

What we have here is the setup I use in order to keep the floor from  getting soaked and rotting away due to the leaky air conditioner in my  room.  See, the thing is, my AC drips water from the front all over the window sill, which then drips down onto the floor.  I think it's supposed to drip out the back instead of the front, but go figure.  At least it blows cool air... but not when it's raining, or immediately after it rains.  For some reason, when water gets inside, it slows the machinery down and it just sits there and barely hums, gasping out tepid air until all the rain water has either evaporated or leaked out onto the floor.  I don't know why it does that, but then again I'm absolutely convinced that it's because my AC is allergic to water.  That would explain why it's always vomiting the stuff out the front end instead of disposing of it quietly out the back end, with dignity, like normal AC's do.

Anywho, after a week or two of just letting it leak, the floor directly underneath the window becomes soaked and begins to mildew, filling the air with that pleasant scent of decay.  In order to combat this, I first tried stuffing a towel into the crevice which separates the bottom of the AC from the window sill.  This worked fine for about a day, until the towel became soaked and started dripping all over the floor anyway.  My next idea was to roll up another towel and stick it there under the window sill, thus catching the dripping water from the first towel when it became saturated.  The problem with this method was I had to keep switching out the soaked towels for dry ones, and I only have a limited number of towels.  Also, I would frequently forget about the towels and they'd just keep getting more and more soaked, with the damp area of the floor underneath the window sill growing larger and larger with each passing day.

Finally I got fed up with this ghetto bullcrap and contrived a semi-permanent solution which only required a minimum of effort.  I also used physics, which makes me a genius.  Here's what I did:




See what that is?  It's my laundry hamper sitting underneath my AC, filled with water.  See the towel jammed up in there between the bottom of the AC and hanging down into the hamper?  That's how the water goes into the hamper and not onto the floor, by soaking into the towel first.  See that hose stuck into the water and running out the window?  That's for draining the water out of the hamper, since after about 4 days it will fill up all the way to the top and start spilling over the edge.  I wonder where the heck all that water comes from, anyway.  The air?  Probably.  So my AC produces about 20 gallons of water a week by just sucking it right out of the air like magic.  My very own moisture farm, except it's a major pain in the ass and I don't live on Tatooine where a moisture farm might come in handy.  Still, that's physics at work right there, people.  The same physics that will eventually make moisture farming on the moon a practical reality.




On to the next step.  See that?  That's the back end of the AC, with the other end of the hose hanging out the window.  The whole setup is like a colostomy bag for my AC.  In order to get it to drain I have to siphon the water out of the hamper so that it gets from point A (the front of the AC) to point C (the ground outside), bypassing point B (the floor under the window sill) completely.  That's the physics part that makes me a genius, plus I use geometry.




I'll skip showing the part where I have to suck on the butt end of that filthy, nasty hose which has been sitting outside in the dirt and grass, exposed to the sun and rain and snow and all the elements of nature for the past two years, in order to get the siphoning started so the water will drain out of the colostomy hamper.  However, I will show the results.  See the water pouring out of the hose?  Once again, that's physics at work, people.  The same physics that will eventually allow mankind to land on the surface of the sun and retrieve a sample of sun rock for study back here on Earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment