Saturday, December 31, 2011

Basal cell carcinoma

I've had a sore on my left ankle now for several months that won't heal.  For most of that time I didn't even notice it, but every now and then I'd see it and wonder, 'WTF... why hasn't that healed yet?' and then forget about it again.  Then the other night it hit me... skin cancer.  I did some net research and the images I found for a certain type of cancer, called basal cell carcinoma, look very much like the lesion on my ankle.  From what I've gathered so far, 90% of these types of cases don't metastasize to other parts of the body, so I'm not too worried at the moment.  The main concern seems to be removing it so it doesn't leave a scar.  My mom works at a hospital, and she said I could come down and get it removed, and that the lab costs would be covered.

I suppose I'll have to make some time for that.  I'll probably have to miss church one of these upcoming weekends.

No comments:

Post a Comment