Friday, July 24, 2015

Inspiration. Oh... and dirty prions

I get a lot of inspiration from my dreams.  No, I ain't taking about 'I have a dream' dreams, or 'Your achievements are only limited by your dreams' dreams, or 'Follow your dreams' dreams, or 'Don't just dream it, do it!' dreams, or 'The only thing separating your dreams from your future is YOU' dreams.  I ain't talking about those kinds of dreams.  Sure, I guess it's ok to have those kinds of dreams and to do the whole 'work toward it until you achieve it' thing, but that ain't what I'm talking about here at all.  Except where it applies, like when you dream about something and then you want to actually build what you dreamt about.  Like what I'm about to talk about here. But other than that, it doesn't apply at all to what I'm talking about.

What I'm talking about is the g'nite sleepyhead, the fuzzy dark no time passes part of it, then the waking down... and a real dream happens.  It can be in clear HD color, or it might be channel 4 in the boondocks and barely watchable.

Over the course of our lives, the 1/3rd of it that we spend unconscious, and the 1/6th of that 1/3rd that we spend dreaming, add up to years and years of just being sound asleep and dreaming.  Years and years, for every one of us.  We are, none of us, different.  Each and every one of the seven billions of us spend up to a tenth of our lives dreaming.*  If you live to be 90, that could be nine years, just dreaming.  Nine years of your life that are stored in your memory as dreams, which are just as real to your neurons as the 66 years worth of memories that you actually experienced wide awake.

What I'm saying is, that's where I get my inspiration.  From the real dreams, not those... I don't know. The ones that don't happen because you're asleep.

I dream about flying a lot.  A lot.  I dream that I'm flying, and it's always so super super awesome cool and awesome.  I love it every time I dream it.  Then, I dream about skating on roller blades, really really fast.  Just skating so fast, and it being so effortless.  Those are my main frequent euphoric dreams... my flying and skating dreams.

So.  Finally!  The point of all this bullshirt.  The flying dreams are the reason why I want to build a hang glider, and the skating dreams are the reason why I want to build bionic boots.

Ok, that's all.

*Except for those of us with FSI; that is, Fatal Sporadic Insomnia.  Or even worse, the kind that gets passed down to your kids.  FFI, or Fatal Familial Insomnia.  It's all about spongifying your hypothalamus with bent proteins called prions. That sucks. And that's a horrible word... prion.  It just sounds evil in purpose.  Pry, like it's going to pry you open, and on, like it's going to just get it all on you, and you don't want it on you.

No comments:

Post a Comment