Saturday, October 6, 2007

Confusion


The other night, I woke up in the middle of the night. I was on my side, and there was a red light blinking off and on in the pitch black. A full minute must have passed during which I was completely oblivious as to who I was, where I was, what was going on, WHAT I was, why it was so dark, what that flashing red light was, and to top it off, I didn't seem to give two flying farts, either. All capacity for cogent thought seemed to have fled during that time. It was as if I had lost all higher brain functions and simply existed with the awareness of an animal. Saying that I didn't know 'why' all of this was going on is a gross overstatement. Why didn't matter, since I didn't seem to posses the ability to question anything anyway. There wasn't any fear, or concern, or anything. Kind of like a video camera set to record and being fed onto a blank tape.

So as I said, I just 'lie' there or 'lied' there or whatever for a while, about a minute, and then I started to 'come back' I guess. This was characterized by an immediate onset of extreme panic. I sat up and looked around in the pitch dark. Most people have probably experienced this, waking up and not knowing where they are for a second. It was kind of like that once I 'came to'. Eventually I finally figured out who I was and that I was in bed at my moms and that I was house sitting for her while she's in California. I reclined my body again and thought about how weird this was.

I wonder how often that happens to people. Its definitely never happened to me before. I've woken up confused before, but never like that, where I have forgotten everything about everything including myself. I told my mom about it and she said I was probably still asleep until I actually snapped out of it. I don't think so, it wasn't like being asleep, it was exactly how I described it.

No comments:

Post a Comment