Wednesday, April 6, 2016

The language of the wind

I just thought of something amazing. Check it out. Consider this:

It's windy tonight. Normally I hate the wind. I curse it! It's cold. If it ain't cold, then it's blowing my hair everywhere. If it ain't blowing my hair everywhere, it's touching my skin. If it ain't touching my skin, it's blowing all of the trash out of the parking lot, so that I don't have an excuse to go outside and sweep so that I can smoke. If it ain't blowing all of the trash out of the parking lot, it's blowing out my lighter so that I can't even light my cigarette. If it ain't doing any of those things, then it's probably bothering somebody else, somewhere. Wind. Stupid, buttheaded wind! Right?

Check it out though... and I only just realized this, about half an our ago, the thing with wind. See, the thing with wind, is...

First, you know trees? Wind blows trees every which way. We all know that, but what happened tonight was... and I'm being totally serious... I'm not even trying to be funny. What happened tonight, about half an hour ago was this.

I was sitting in my compartment after work, just sitting there with the lights out and the door open, trying to air the place out. A tiny space like my compartment gets stinky with cigarette smoke and scorched vegetable oil and heaps and heaps of neglected laundry and stacks of dishes and skid marked underwear and a bathroom nook that was designed without a door and a commode that wasn't designed to process the sheer volume of 32 craps a day after a month of remission, and the good intentions of Febreeze can only go so far...

... and as I was sitting there, just kind of existing as a thing, I could hear the wind blowing outside. I thought it was my ceiling fan at first, but then I saw the tree leaves blowing on the trees. I thought...

'That's pretty damn cool, those tree leaves blowing, and the sound they make.'

I wanted to go out into them and hear them up close, so I went outside (after buttoning up the compartment) and after I got out there, I saw this tree across the street. Man, it was blowing up a storm with its leaves, just going all over the place, like some insane, gesticulating kind of sign language of the vegetable kind, like it was a genuine frikin' emergency! ALL LEAFY GREEN WOODEN THINGS, LOOK AT ME, LOOK OVER HERE, THIS IS FUCKING IMPORTANT!!!

That's what that tree was saying, in wind language. And I understood, at that moment, about the wind. And the trees. And everything that those things are inside of... that the wind is, that the blowing winds are the nerve impulses of an immense, slow motion alive thing, and the trees are the hands, the vocal cords, the contracting irises, the vibrating tympanum, the muscles which receive the impulses, of this alive thing, and then I thought...

What the heck am I? Holy shit, I'm a part of it... And it was less of a question, and more of just a curious musing of how awesome it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment